This is a whopper of a cake, packed with juicy ripe strawberries, jam and cream. The sponge is a classic vicky sponge drizzled in a mixture of champagne and elderflower, giving you a cake that stays gorgeously moist with the flavours and scents of summer bursting out of it!
Feeds 10 or more
Pre heat the oven to 180c
You’ll need 4 parchment lined loose bottomed sandwich tins 20 cm (8”)
(or do in two batches with 2 tins)
400g caster sugar
400g butter softened
100ml elderflower cordial
50ml champagne, cava or prosecco
400g self-raising flour
Double cream 300ml
X2 large punnets strawberries
1 jar good quality strawberry jam.
1. Cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
2. Add eggs and whisk until light and foamy (if it begins to split add a spoonful of flour)
3. Add 50ml elderflower cordial, mix then add sifted flour and fold through,
4. Put equal amounts in all 4 tins and place in a preheated oven 180c for around 15-20 mins, until just coming away from the sides. (a skewer inserted should come out clean)
5. Put on a rack to cool completely before decorating.
6. Whisk cream to soft peaks and put in a large piping bag with a wide hole nozzle ( or just cut the end)
7. Level off all your cakes, this makes the cake tower more stable and allows the syrup to penetrate.
8. Mix the 50ml cordial / 50 ml champagne together and put in a squeezy bottle, give each cake a good drizzle but don’t over soak.
9. Spread each layer with jam, fresh strawberries, and cream and layer up until you hit the roof!
Ideally eat within a couple of hours of assembly or refrigerate until you’re ready to wow your guests!
Being a big cake you’ll need to assemble on the day you want to eat it as most people will struggle to get this one in the fridge! Having said that you can easily scale the recipe right down if you would like a smaller 2 layered cake.
As always for ever changing recipes, and the most seasonal fresh ideas, subscribe and follow on insta.
I love hearing from you so don't be shy drop me a message :)