All my favourite ingredients in this one! soft, squidgy, zingy and nutty.... what more could you want? You can enjoy this one with a cuppa or serve warmed with some cream as a yummy pud, no fancy tins required here, just a roasting tray!
Ingredients for cake
300g caster sugar
150g ground pistachios
100g desiccated coconut
100g self raising flour
2 tsp baking powder
zest of 2 limes
4 large eggs separated
300ml coconut milk
100g softened butter
Ingredients for the icing drizzle and topping
200g icing sugar
juice of 2 limes
2 tbsp coconut milk
2 tbsp desiccated coconut
2 tbsp chopped pistachios
1. preheat the oven to 175c
2. line a 35 x 20cm roasting dish (similar size will do)
3. In a roomy bowl whisk egg whites to soft peaks and slowly whilst whisking incrementally add 1/2 the caster sugar until you have a glossy looking meringue.
4. In a large separate bowl add butter and remaining sugar and whisk to a creamy consistency. To the same bowl add yolks and coconut milk and whisk again. add desiccated coconut, ground pistachio, lime zest, flour and baking powder and using a spatula mix well to combine.
5. Add large spatula-fulls of meringue to the nutty mixture, gently folding and cutting with each addition to incorporate all the meringue without knocking out all the air.
6. Pour / dollop the mixture into the lined roasting tin and place in the oven on 175c for 40 minutes. the top should spring back, the sides will have shrunk away from the tin slightly and a skewer should come out clean.
7. allow to cool in the tim for 10 minutes then gently lift out and allow to cool thoroughly on a wire rack.
8. Cut into equal sizes squares then mix the icing sugar with lime juice and coconut milk, liberally drizzle over and scatter with desiccated coconut and chopped pistachios.