Those forward thinking Scandinavians not only design great furniture but do a pretty mean meatball too! Not too long ago IKEA released its closely guarded meatball recipe so naturally i pounced on it...... i was a touch underwhelmed so i've tweaked it ever so slightly and i think you're going to love them!
I've doubled the recipe so you'll have enough to freeze. but feel free to scale down if you don't trust how amazing they are hahaha!
Ingredients for meatballs
500g beef mince
500g pork mince
2 very finely chopped onions
3 fat cloves of garlic grated
200g white breadcrumbs
2 large eggs
5 tbsp whole milk
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
Ingredients for creamy sauce
2 heaped tsp dijon mustard
250ml beef stock
250ml veg stock
150 ml double cream
2 tbsp dark soy sauce
1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
handful of parsley chopped.
1. Gently fry and soften finely chopped garlic and onion. set aside.
2. Mix all meatball ingredients together, add onions, mix again.
3. Form 30g or walnut sized balls. (get the kids on this and have a cuppa or a G&T)
chill balls in the fridge to set shape for an hour.
4. Fry balls in sunflower oil until golden and caramelised on the edges, do this in batches.
set aside in a warm oven while you do the sauce.
5. In a large pan melt butter, add flour and cook off until it resembles a sandy gloop.
add stock incrementally. (don't worry, its going to go through some gross stages, wallpaper paste, lumpy then smooth.)
6. Now add soy sauce, nutmeg and dijon mustard, stir well.
7. Finally add cream and whisk up to a silky sauce. (it should be the consistency of thick double cream)
8. Add meatballs to sauce, bring to a bubble and simmer for 5 mins, sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve.
Serve up with creamy mash, rice or if you're feeling naughty some skinny fries! enjoy!
For more free yummy recipes direct to your inbox why not subscribe?
#meatballs #foodporn #food #foodie #homemade #instafood #foodstagram #IKEA #foodphotography #yummy #dinner #foodblogger #swedishfood #delicious #meat #foodlover #meatball #foodgasm #foodies #lunch #scandinavian #homecooking #scandi #meatlover #healthyfood #cooking #homemademeatballs #hygge